Google Map Maker allows you to add and update geographic information for millions of users to see in Google Maps and Google Earth. By sharing information about the places you know, like businesses in your town or places in your school campus, you can ensure the map accurately reflects the world around you. Your updates will be reviewed and once approved, will appear online for people from all over the world to see.
You can make edits using Google Map Maker over 188 countries and regions around the world. Start mapping today!
With Google Map Maker, you can:
- Add places of interest such as your local restaurants, cafés, schools and more.
- Edit and update details for existing places.
- Help avid hikers by mapping trails, be it for a casual walk or an adventurous trip!
- Get driving directions and also help in making them more accurate.
- See what your peers are mapping in specific areas.
Getting to know Map Maker
Here’s the basic layout of the Map Maker interface:
- Viewport: The viewport displays the map that you’re working on. This is where you can add, edit and review features. You can use the navigation controls to zoom in and out or move around the map, and switch between Map and Satellite views. To view stats for top contributors to an area, hover your mouse pointer over the contributors’ names in the right bottom corner of the viewport.
- Street View: An orange pegman indicates that Street View is available; a grey pegman indicates that it’s not available. The lower right corner of the viewport has a Street View preview.
- Top menu bar: After you’ve signed in, click the gear-shaped icon in the upper-right corner to display links to your Profile and Settings pages. You can also find links to Labs features, the Discussion Forum and the Help Center.
- Toolbar: The toolbar is enabled when you zoom in to a particular area. Use it to add features such asPlaces, Shapes and Lines. You can also use it to find and edit features.
- Left panel: Displays information about updates, edits and directions related to the current action you’re performing. Learn more about the left panel workspace.
- Searching tools: The search box, along with Browse and Advanced Search will help you find businesses, schools and other places of interest. Learn more about searching.
- Location bar: Displays your current location based on the area represented by the viewport. You may need to zoom in to view this information.
- Getting Started tool: Click for guided instructions on how to add, edit, find features and more on Map Maker.